Wednesday 25 November 2015

Breaking up is Hard #2: I'm Gonna Survive

POST #108
ALTERED SONG-LYRICS: parodysitism (see explanatory note below). 
RECIPIENT SONG (music)"I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)", The Proclaimers, 1988.
INVADING SONG (lyrics): "I Will Survive", Gloria Gaynor 1978
PARODY COMPOSED: Giorgio Coniglio, November 2015.

KEYWORDS: goldenoldy, mishmash, pairody

A major way to have fun with songs is to insert lyrics from one into the musical backdrop of another. As discussed in the previous post, a good analogy is that the lyrics and theme act as an invader or parasite, taking over the music and pre-empting the message of the “recipient” or “host” song. PARODYSITISM is a neologism mixing the concepts as well as the sounds of parasitism and parody. Examples under the heading "Breaking Up Is Hard" demonstrate how songs about the ardent phase of love/relationships can give way to a more difficult phase in their life-cycle. 

Other examples of PARODYSITISM  (search this site by "mishmash") include... 
Ochi Chornye (brown-eyed girl), Saturday Night as Sung by Beatles, Carolina: A Redawning, Starry Notions, Those Were Our Trains, Budapest Is So Fine, The Budapest Banana-Boat Song, Nifty Ways to Leave Your Mukluks, Bob Dylan Sings Cole Porter, and The Burning Grapevine 


I'M GONNA SURVIVE

(lyrics of Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive” -with modification, to the tune of The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be - 500 Miles”)


I
I was fearful, at first I was petrified,
Thought I’m never gonna manage without you.
I kept thinkin', that without you by my side,
Never gonna  learn to be somebody new.
Many nights spent, thinking how you did me wrong,
Feeling sorry for myself because of you.
I’d been chained up, didn’t know I could be strong    
Just a little person still in love with you.

I should have changed the front door lock
Or made you leave your stupid key
I’d have never guessed -  it’s quite a shock! that you’d,
Be back to bother me.

Here I find you - you’ve come back from outer space
But there’s gonna be no welcome here for you
You just dropped in, with that sad look on your face
Hoping I’d lay down and crumble just for you.
I tried hard to, mend the pieces of my heart
And now you just expect me to be free
All my strength used, to avoid falling apart,
Now I’ll save my love for one who’s loving me.

Now you should go, walk out the door 
You’d tried to hurt me with goodbye
I’ve got all my life to live and love to give,
I’ll hold my head up high.

Fa-da–la-dah (fa-da–la-dah); fa-da–la-dah (fa-da–la-dah)
I know I’ll stay alive, I will survive.
Lay down and die? (lay down and die); oh no, not I (oh no, not I)
I know I’ll stay alive, I will survive.

(Repeat 2nd verse)


Go on now, walk five hundred k
And then walk several thousand more.
Just leave me your key, walk far away
And never drop in at my door.

Fa-da–la-dah (fa-da–la-dah); fa-da–la-dah (fa-da–la-dah)
I know I’ll stay alive, I will survive.
Lay down and die? (lay down and die); oh no, not I (oh no, not I)
I've got all my love to give, I will survive. 


Performing Notes

 G5= 0235; C = 5543; D = 7765


I was [G5] fearful, at first I was petrified,
Thought I’m [C] never gonna [D] manage without [G5] you.
I kept thinkin',  that without you by my side,
Never [C] gonna learn to [D] be somebody [G5] new.
Many nights spent, thinking how you did me wrong,
Feeling [C] sorry for [D] myself because of [G5] you.
I’d been chained up, didn’t know I could be strong    
Just a [C] little person [D] still in love with you.

I [G5] should have changed the front door lock
Or [C] made you leave your [D] stupid key
I’d have [G5] never guessed -  it’s quite a shock! that [C] you’d,
Be back to [D] bother me.


Fa-da–[G5]-la-dah (fa-da–la-dah); fa-da–la-dah (fa-da–la-dah)
I [C] know I’ll stay a[D]live, I will sur[G5]vive.
Lay down and die? (lay down and die); oh no, not I (oh no, not I)
I [C] know I’ll stay a[D]live, I will sur[G5]vive. 


No comments:

Post a Comment