Thursday, 3 September 2015

A Kayaker's Sea-Shanty: My Blue Sit-On


POST #94
PARODY-LYRICS
ORIGINAL SONG"My Blue Heaven", W. Donaldson (music), G.A.Whiting (lyrics), 1928. Performed originally by Gene Austin, covered by almost 100 other bands and soloists, from Marlene Dietrich to Norah Jones.
PARODY COMPOSED: Giorgio Coniglio, May 2015.

KEYWORDS: classicsong, environment, Carolinas







MY BLUE SIT-ON

(to the tune of "My Blue Heaven")

When scupper-holes bail
No fear to capsize!
I’m stable in my new sit-on.

She’s plump but petite
Just measures nine feet
I’ve christened her My Blue Heaven.

I'’ll need a saddle-seat, a paddle, some repellent (-bug)
A type III vest to keep each vessel-rider snug.

Self-draining kayak,
Swift lift to roof-rack
Where I strap on My Blue Heaven.


A dolly to haul,
Don’t bring alcohol (chmmh!)
Boat-ramp to launch My Blue Heaven.

Could have a fishin’-pole, small ice-chest on a tidal ‘crick’
And she won’t swamp in wake or surf – that’s quite a trick.

Where scupper-holes drain
Skip’s feeling no pain
Secure in his new blue sit-on.

I’ve got my cellphone in a baggy, I’m not gab-repressed
So while I’m damp and floating, I’ll 'yak-yack or text.

When my darling calls
That evening is nigh
I’ll be docking My Blue Heaven

A neat gift for me
Just turned seventy
I’m happy with My Blue Heaven

Just so happy in My Blue Heaven




Performing Notes:

When scupper-holes [Bb6] bail
No fear to cap[Bb]size! [G7]
I’m stable in [C7] my [F7] new [Bb] sit-on.

She’s plump but pe[Bb6]tite
Just measures nine [Bb] feet [G7]
I’ve christened her [C7] “My [F7] Blue [Bb] Heaven”.

I'’ll [Bb7] need a [Eb] saddle-seat, a [G7] paddle, some [Cm] repellent (-bug)
A [F7] type-III vest to [Cm7] keep each  vessel-[Bb]-rider [Bdim7] snug. [F7] 



Shem Creek, SC
sit-on kayak
 shrimp boats in background






Post a Comment