Tuesday 2 February 2016

The Beatles' "SATURDAY NIGHT", with Thanks to Elton John and a Nod to Oscar Wilde

POST #118
PASTICHE with PARODY-LYRICS

ORIGINAL SONG#1:  "Yesterday", Beatles song written for the album Help!, Paul McCartney, 1965. 
ORIGINAL SONG#2: "Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)" Elton John, lyrics by Bernie Taupin, 1973. 
PARODY COMPOSED: Giorgio Coniglio, August 2015.

KEYWORDS: goldenoldy, mishmash


Note on the Parody lyrics: Among Oscar Wilde ’s most famous sayings, “Work is the curse of the drinking classes”

SATURDAY NIGHT AS SUNG BY "BEATLES" 

(to the Beatles' tune, "Yesterday")


Getting late
Wanna little action on my plate
Ma, your discipline just aggravates
I wanna rock; where are my mates?

Sis looks cute
Hair all greased up, in her dancing-boots
Seven bells, my old man’s really juiced,
That monkey; Ma don’t give a hoot.

Saturday
It’s alright for fightin’; play that game!
I’ll be oiled as a diesel train
A beer-filled belly; why refrain?

Set this dance alight
It’s alright; we’re gonna fight.
I’ll do something wrong,
Then be strong to set things right!

Stubbornly
I’ll use muscle to get what I need
Find some dolly hanging over me,
From shadows shout out, “She’s with me!”

Party night
It’s a night whose sounds I really like 
Like a switchblade and a motorbike
Wilde’s ‘drinking class’ – I’m just its tyke.

Saturday’s the night I like!
Mm mm, mm mm, mm mm-mm.
 
(to the Elton John tune)

Saturday, Saturday, Saturday
Saturday, Saturday, Saturday
Saturday, Saturday, Saturday night’s alright.

(back to the Beatles' tune)

Saturday's the night I like.


Performing Notes:

"Yesterday" has some beautiful chords that contribute to its special feeling.
C9 = 0,2,0,3; Bm7 = 2,0,0,2; Am9 = 2,0,0,2; F6 = 2,2,1,3   


Verse:
[C9] Getting late..  [Bm7]
Wanna [E7]  little action [Am] on my [Am9] plate [C9]
[F6] Ma, your [G7] discipline just [C] aggravates
[G] I [Am7] want to [D7] rock; where [F] are my [C] mates?

Chorus:
[Bm7] Set [E7] this [Am]dance [C9] a[F6]light
It’s al[G]right; we’re [G7] gonna [C] fight. [C9] [C]
[Bm7] I’ll [E7] do [Am] some[C9]thing [F6] wrong,
Then be [G] strong to [G7] set things [C] right! .[Csus4] [C9] 

[Am7] Satur[D7]day's the [F] night I [C9] like 
[Am7] Mm mm [D7] mm mm [F] mm mm [C9] mm 

Elton John Ending
[C] Saturday, Saturday, Saturday
[Bb] Saturday, Saturday, Saturday
[F] Saturday, Saturday, Saturday night's al[C]right





No comments:

Post a Comment